Gebregzabiher Aregawi, Director for Tigrai Earl Warning Response and Food Security Directorate, says no amount of food was stolen in areas under the control of the Tigrian forces.
In a briefing earlier today, the director admitted food had been looted in the Southern and Northwestern zones of the region while noting that the looting and loading of food items were carried out by Eritrean and Amhara forces.
The director appeared to the media this morning following a story by the Associated Press that uncovers the suspension of delivery of humanitarian aid since April 20 into Tigrai due to an internal investigation of the reported theft on WFP’s warehouse in Sheraro, Northwestern Tigrai. In the contrary, the director says the suspension began a week earlier on April 13, 2023.
Gebregzabher also stated Tigrai was/is under the control of four different forces which makes it harder to figure out who does what.
Tigrai Television attempted to reach Claude Jibidar, Country Director for WFP Ethiopia to comment on the matter who says he does not want to comment on the investigation process at this point of time.